What can MEPs help with?

MEPs can offer advice on any issue that relates to EU law. Broadly, these fall under the following areas – consumer protection, EU citizenship rights, employment and trade issues relating to the Single Market and environmental protection.

However, there are some matters MEPs simply cannot get involved with because the have no power to usefully do so. MEPs are not in a position to help with the following matters:

  • Legal issues (including matters concerning the European Court of Human Rights or Human Rights generally);
  • Matters which concern your local council (such as housing or planning permission), Scottish Parliament or the UK Parliament rather than a European matter which concerns the European Parliament; or
  • Issues regarding the interpretation and implementation of an EU rule by the government of Scotland, the UK or another member state rather than a matter which is presently relevant to the European Parliament. In the first instance the national authority should be contacted, only in the event of their failure to properly implement do MEPs have the authority to intervene. Even in this case, MEPs assistance would be generally rather limited.